Saturday

Day Eighteen - on the Move again

The plan for today is to ski towards Snofjell with the aim of returning back to the base via the ice-dammed lake and Geomorph-Life Science Valley. I remember going there with Greg and I don’t see how it can be done but que sera sera.

Reminder: skiing down from the icecap,
across the glacier and up here..

Skiing was pretty good today. I sewed my rucksack up and it was actually not too uncomfortable. We were going along at a fair pace. We had lunch under flys, I with the four boys, during which we decided that it might be an idea to rearrange accommodation. The original plan was for me to swap with Rob. I just mentioned the plan to Val before we continued and she said that she would mention it to the others. 

Anyway, rain/bad light/gales and 10m visibility stopped play whilst we were all happily beadling along into a crevasse field, and after a bit of hoo’ing and ha’ing I moved in swapping with Matt – and we pitched with great difficulty when the slightest attention loss caused Karrimats to go very far for a Burton. 

Life had begun to look up a little. The cards were brought out, then dinner was had, then those, literary (or il-literary, resorting to the likes of Judith Krantz) – minded read. Sleeping was crowded but warm, and also gave cooking opportunities a limited scope.



Luckily John and Rob made passable porridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment