Friday

Day Sixteen - The Nadir

Although the wind seemed to lull in the night, a blizzard white-out proper has now blown-up. 6am this morning came and went, and when I finally decided that my bowels could take the strain no longer, I discovered that it was 10:20, my boots and laces frozen, my Cagjac soaking and the surface of the inner tent drenched. Actually venturing our produced a curios difficulty in maintaining standing up (or squatting) positions, a lot of frozen snow in eyes, nose, clothes etc. and a gradual pile up of snow on the fly.

Four days have been spent in this fashion, with today’s added bonus of a wet interior but books need reading and diaries need writing. Thank God our tent is still up (Touch wood. What wood?).

Sam came back in a little after I came back to inform me that we were leaving at 11am “apparently you can ski more in a blizzard with the wind behind you”- and did I know the word ‘gullible’ had been taking out of the dictionary?

The only external evidence of civilisation (?) is the clatter of Rob doing their tent’s ‘snow scrubbing-up’ – maybe he’ll do ours as well since he’s using our pan scrubber. That would be nice. (He just did).

Now, tent retirement. Sleep comes with difficulty since the tent is constantly roaring from the wind/, and now we have the additional heavy patter of iced snow. What fun?

15:30 – 1.5 hours to take-off – the conditions have improved and we are finally leaving the dump. Rations to be sorted and carried and the tent to be packed and carried and…

We’re off!

John and Roger were navigating up ahead and Sam, Philippa and I counting paces. The snow alternates frequently between powdery and slushy, and it is cold. The views are quite something though. Eternal expanses of white which are mildly undulating.


Then I began falling down and my weakness results in 10 minutes just trying to get my damn rucksack straight. The waistband is faulty and it is agony to carry. Various people seem to think that I am doing this on purpose (or so it appears to me). Life is very, very, very miserable. I shouldn’t be here because I’m not fit enough and frankly prefer the cushier life. My right shoulder and hip are in constant pain and I keep overbalancing. I don’t know how on earth I am going to survive these next few days but I do know that I have paid a great deal of money to be unhappy. I am accused of whingeing when I say anything (which is probably true) and when I’m not being laughed at I’m being hurried along and reprimanded. I can’t blame anyone except myself and although I know the only solution is to grin and bear it, I just can’t handle it. I’m always clothes, my clothes wet and unable to cope. How I wish I was like Sam. I HATE this.

No comments:

Post a Comment